Saturday, November 27, 2010

Juan Manuel Marquez Stops Michael Katsidis, Wants Manny Paquiao III

Filed under: , , , , , , ,



WBO and WBA lightweight (135 pounds) champion Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico got up off of the canvas from a third-round knockdown that was the result of a vicious left hook, and then recovered to fire 61 unanswered punches at a reeling WBO interim king Michael Katsidis of Australia that forced referee Kenny Bayless to step in and call a halt to the fight at 2:14 of the ninth round of Saturday night's clash at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"It was a very polished performance by Juan Manuel. It's just one of those things that I got caught late in the fight, and, you know, I gain experience from every fight. What can I say? " said Katsidis, red welts under both eyes, including the left one, which bled profusely from a cut above it at the time of the stoppage.

"I always knew that it was in the cards [to score a knockdown,] but he's a very experienced fight and there's no point in rushing in and trying to finish the job. That's when he takes advantage the most," said Katsidis. "I have to give all of the credit to Juan Manuel Marquez. He did a great job."

In victory, the 37-year-old Marquez improved to 52-5-1, with his 38th knockout, and the 30-year-old Katsidis slipped to 27-3, with 22 KOs.

"I've seen a lot of guys come undone by rushing in and trying to finish him off. I didn't do that tonight. I knew that I had to be patient with him. I'm not terribly disappointed. I went through a lot to make it to this fight, I've got a big heart, and I'll unify the title once again, hopefully," said Katsidis, who was stopped for the second time in his career.

"Unfortunately, I got caught a little bit later in the fight. I knew that I had to vary it up in the fight, and that was working. I was coming on stronger than he was," said Katsidis. "Progressively, I was getting on top of the guy. He caught me during the fight and he was able to finish me off. This is boxing, and this is what happens. I gained a lot of experience from this fight once again."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/11/27/juan-manuel-marquez-stops-michael-katsidis-in-ninth-round/

Junior Jones Gerrie Coetzee Michael Dokes Leon Spinks

No comments:

Post a Comment