Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mark Munoz and Chris Weidman fighting for a title shot at UFC on Fuel 4

In Monday's discussion of middleweights looking to inch closer to a shot at Anderson Silva and the championship, two names were not discussed: Mark Munoz and Chris Weidman. Since they already have a fight, they don't need to lobby for the right fight, like Michael Bisping, Alan Belcher and Brian Stann do.

They'll face each other on Wednesday night at UFC on Fuel 4. For Munoz, a win means a shot at Silva.

"With a win over Chris Weidman, I'm going to prove that I should have the title shot," Munoz told MMAjunkie.com Radio.

Weidman told MMA Fighting he is also seeking a title shot. After a lackluster win over Demian Maia in January, he wants to make it crystal clear he deserves the next shot at the belt.

"I'm fighting to make a statement in this fight," he said. "It would be my fifth win in the UFC in a row, I've fought a lot of tough guys, veterans in this sport. I really didn't have any easy fights, so I want to make a statement. I would love a chance against Anderson Silva, I think I really match up good against him, and I mean, I would love a shot, so we'll see. I really just want to make a statement in this fight. I want to make it blatantly obvious that I should be the one fighting Anderson Silva. That's the goal."

Both men have NCAA Division I wrestling backgrounds, though Munoz was a national champion for Oklahoma State while Weidman wrestled for less-acclaimed Hofstra. They are also coming in riding win streaks: four in a row for Munoz and five in a row for Weidman.

Who will walk out of the main event closer to the title shot? Tell us in the comments, on Facebook or on Twitter.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/mark-munoz-chris-weidman-fighting-title-shot-ufc-141001181--mma.html

Matt Hughes Mirko Cro Cop Rashad Evans Frankie Edgar

No comments:

Post a Comment